SCA endorses products with the Allergy Certified logo, that do not contain Chlorhexidine commonly used in oral care & personal hygiene products. “Chlorhexidine is an antibacterial agent that is commonly used in dental and surgical settings. Low concentration products sold over-the-counter do not typically cause serious problems, but people can have adverse effects and allergic reactions even with normal use.” -

“Chlorhexidine has low toxicity as a skin scrub or as an aqueous solution for wound disinfection, oral lavage, and mucous membranes of the urinary tract. Although it can be toxic to fibroblasts in vitro, in vivo lavage with dilute chlorhexidine (0.05%) is not harmful to wound healing.” -


CAS No: 55-56-1. Other Names: Chlorhexidine; 1,1'-hexamethylenebis(5-(p-chlorophenyl)biguanide); 1,6-Bis(5-(p-chlorophenyl)biguandino)hexane; Hexadol


Oral hygiene products including toothpaste, dental floss, denture cleansers and mouth wash: "Chlorhexidine and its salts have reported use in cosmetics with the identified functions as preservatives, antimicrobial and oral care agents." And, "The major reported cosmetic use is in hair treatment applications. Other products include make-up and makeup removers, skin care products, hair colouring products, shampoos, aftershave and mouthwashes and breath fresheners. The concentration in cosmetic products is restricted in several countries (see International restrictions). Typical reported concentrations in products are below 0.1 %." - NICNAS



  • "Contact reactions to oral hygiene products affect all age groups. Toothpastes consist of flavourings, preservatives, colouring agents, abrasives, detergents, binding agents, humectants, antiseptics, antacids and fluoride salts." - Chlorhexidine Oral Mouth Wash

  • "Chlorhexidine is a common ingredient of mouthwashes as it kills bacteria. Prolonged use of a chlorhexidine-containing mouthwash can cause discolouration of the teeth and dental restorations. Chlorhexidine can also affect the sensation of taste." -


Also see "peroxide" - Toothpastes and mouth rinses may also contain low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant to prevent plaque and inflammation of the gums. Studies have shown that hydrogen peroxide from toothpastes or mouth rinses is rapidly broken down in the mouth by the saliva, but some of it is swallowed" -

Amina Kitching