Products that exclude and/or restrict the use of common allergens
eliminates many issues associated with products, chemicals and allergies. SCA has restricted the criteria to the top offending chemicals that are known to trigger allergies, asthma and skin sensitivities. By excluding and restricting key allergens from products we use everyday, you can safe guard your health. Approved products that carry SCA's "Australian Allergy Certified" seal, have disclosed all of their ingredients and substantiated their product claims.
SCA's Australian Allergy Certified™ seal minimises the potential for allergic reactions.
Published in A-Z Order:
*Star indicates restricted use, CTU indicates - Combined Total Usage Restrictions. Concentrations less than <1% are recognised as being safe for sensitive skin types, during pregnancy, illness, for the very young and the elderly. SCA permits 1% or less of all chemicals, including the following ingredients that form the criteria. This is to allow for potential contaminants. Consumers should note that there is no safe exposure to allergens therefore if you are aware of allergies then it is advised to avoid allergens altogether. Always read the product label and avoid known allergens, and always follow the advice of your GP or health professional.
- *Acids, Retin-A, Tretinoin also known as all-trans retinoic acid, low-pH acids including salicylic, ascorbic, azelaic, glycolic, kojic, salicylic, alpha-hydroxy acids, acylic acid, lactic acid from plant source only, (see "Fragrances" for levullinic acid) *Acids CTU combined total usage less than <1%
- *Alcohol, Synthetic sourced CTU <1%Ammonium Persulfate, Hair dye
- 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol) FRP's
- Balsam of Peru is not permitted
- Bee Glue, Bee Wax, Cera Alba, Propolis, Polyglyceryl-3 beeswax.- Benzyl Alcohol, Synthetic (see alcohols)
- Benzalkonium chloride
- Benzophenone 4
- Bismuth Oxychloride
- *Behentrimonium chloride <1%
- Cocamide DEA
- Copolymer - no derivatives.
- Colourants, Synthetic coal tar dyes including Chromium, Cobolt Chloride, FD&C, D&C - synthetic colourants are not permitted, but we do have to allow up to 1% of a given formulation to contain colourants due to the potential of other contaminated ingredients. This is only allowed where not intentionally added.
- Detergents, Synthetic including
Diazolidinyl Urea FRP's
Cocamidopropyl Betaine and Dimethylaminopropylamine (DMAPA), Paraphenylenediamine (PPD), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate SLS, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate SLES - black hair dye including henna.
- *Dimethicone and Phenoxyethanol - combined total usage less than <1%
DMDM Hydantoin FRP's
- Diisopropyl Aldipate (see fragrances)
- *Essential Oils and added EO components including: Benzoyl Benzoate, Citral, Citronellol,
Farnesol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carbox-aldehyde,
Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool. Benzoyl Benzoate, Farnesol - See fragrances for restrictions.
*Lime and *Peru Balsam are not permitted.
- Ethoxylated Surfactants - ethylene or propylene oxide, ingredients ending with –eth, like laureth or containing the phrase PEG.
- *Fragrances, Synthetic or otherwise including essential oils, levulenic acid, p-anisic acid, limonene, linalool, geraniol, proline, diisopropyl adipate, polysorbate-20 and citronellol. - restrictions apply for the combined total usage of fragrances/fragrance ingredients limited to less than <1% CTU a low dilution for sensitive skin. *Lime and *Peru Balsam are not permitted. *The percentage for products that are not applied directly to the skin ie. rinse off products <2.5% for the combined total usage of fragrances.
- Formaldehyde & Formaldehyde Releasing Preservatives FRP's - quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea,
diazolidinyl urea, polyoxymethylene urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate,
2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol) and glyoxal.
-*Fruit Extracts of Mango and Strawberries are restricted to a combined total usage of <1% -
- Gluten, wheat-related ingredients including oats and wheat CTU - restricted 1% or less.
Glyceryl monothioglycolate, permanent waxing solutions
- Glyoxal FRP's
- GMO's, no genetically modified organism
- Honey unprocessed (processed honey permitted)
- Hyaluronic Acid (plant fermentation only)
- *Hydrolised proteins, derived from plant, vegetable or animals - CTU <1% Wash off products <2.5% (see wheat)
- Imidazolidinyl Urea FRP's
- Diazolidinyl Urea FRP's
- Isopropyl Stearate
- Lactose from cows milk
- Lactic Acid (Plant source only, see Acids)
- Levulinic acid (see fragrance ingredients)
- Lime, Essential Oil, Acids and Extracts (see Essential Oils)
- Methacrylate in nail glue
- MCI/MI Methylisothiazolinone
- MCI/MI Methylchloroisothiazolinone
- MCI/MI Related kathon-like
- Mica, ultrafine & shimmer varieties
- Micronised Particles
- Milk, Cows Milk Sugars, Proteins
- Nanoparticles, ultra-fine, micronised
- Neomycin Sulfate
- Nickel, Added and Cobalt Related
- Nut oil used in cosmetics is unlikely to trigger skin allergies as it is refined. Those with tree nut allergies should avoid using products that contain nut oils & consult their GP or health practitioner. SCA permits the use of nut oils in all certification criteria's due to cosmetic oils having been refined and found to be of low concern for allergy suffers and those with sensitive skin.
- Oats, Glutenous Grains including wheat and wheat derived oils *Restricted to 1% or less.
- Octyldodecanol (plant source only)
- Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate (plant source only)
- P-anisic acid (see fragrances)
- Parabens, Synthetic - no Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Parabens.
- Palmitate, Vitamin A
- PEG Compounds - PolyEthylene Glycol, pentylene glycol, PPG Petrochemicals, Petrolatum, Paraffin, including mineral jelly and mineral oils, and PVP/VA.
- Peru Balsam is not permitted.
- *Dimethicone and Phenoxyethanol - combined total usage less than <1%
- Phthalates- Preservatives, Synthetic CTU less <1%
- Phenoxyethanol and Dimethicone - combined total usage less than <1%
- Proline (see Fragrances)- Propolis, Bee Glue, Bee Wax, Cera Alba,
- Proteins, Hydrolised (see wheat)
- Polyoxymethylene Urea FRP's- Poly-Propylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol
P-phenylenediamine, Hair Dye - Propylene Glycol from vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol - synthetic varieties.
- Polyethelene Glycol, Ethylene Glycol, PEG
- Polysorbate-20 (see fragrances)
- Proteins derived from animals, nuts, insects.
- Pyrethrum Herbal Extract
- Quaternium 15
- Ragweed Herbal Extract
- Rice Powder
- Salicylic acid (see acids)
- Sesame Seeds, Oils & Extracts
- Silk protein *no animal, or insect ingredients or derivatives.
- Silicone Oils
- Sodium caproyl/lauroyl lactylate (plant source only)- Sodium hydroxide
- Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate FRP's
- Sodium Lactate derived from animals not permitted (plant source accepted)
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate SLES
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate SLS
- Sodium Phytate, see wheat including glutinous grains, wheat derived oils, and oats - restricted to 1% or less.- Sorbitan Stearate
- Soy, and derivatives (no GMO's)
- Stearalkonium Chloride- Sulfates - SLS, SLES
- Chemical reference number (CAS): 7446-09-5 - Sunscreen Agents; Benzophenone-3, -4, BP, BP2, Oxybenzone, Sulisobenzone, Sulisobenzone Sodium
- Talc powder, contamination issues
- Topical Anti-Biotics
- Toluenesulfonamide formaldehyde (Toluidine), in nail polish.- Triclosan
- Triethanolamine TEA
- *Wheat, including glutinous grains, wheat derived oils, and oats, sodium phytate, including hydrolised plant proteins - CTU restricted to <1% or less. Rinse off products <2.5%